- The force of the load will be distributed across all points supporting the load
- This is how people are able to lay on a bed of nails without getting hurt
What is Force Distribution?
- The amount of force each support provides depends on the distance from the support to the load (torque)
- The sum of the forces from all supports is equal to the load force
Force Distribution Example
- Consider the support at F1 to be the fulcrum or pivot
- Similar to the wheelbarrow problem, we can derive the following equation
- F2 = d1L · Fload
- F2 = 7"35" · 150lbs = 30lbs
Force Distribution Example Cont.
- Since there are only two supports, the total force between them must be equal to the load
- F1 + F2 = Fload
- F1 = Fload - F2
- F2 = 150lbs - 30lbs = 120lbs